You are currently viewing Slow uptake for Hauraki Mayoral Relief Fund after January storm
The Maritime Park was badly flooded during the storm. Photo: SUPPLIED

Slow uptake for Hauraki Mayoral Relief Fund after January storm

The Hauraki District Council is urging people financially affected by the January 21 storm event to apply for help from the Mayoral Relief Fund before it closes on February 27.

The fund was established to provide immediate hardship grants for people in the district faced with significant financial, health, or welfare effects following the storm, who were unable to secure funding elsewhere.

The fund includes $100,000 from the government, along with other donations from the public, Mayor Toby Adams said.

Group manager of community and regulatory Peter Thom told the council at its February 11 meeting that only three applications had been received so far, and he knew of another two which were still to come.

Mayor Adams said he encouraged those in need to come forward and ask for help.

“We just want to make sure that everybody’s living as comfortably as they were prior to the event as much as we can,” he said.

“Sometimes people feel too proud or too embarrassed that they might need to ask for help, but rest assured that everything that comes in is held confidential… We just really want to make sure that we’re helping those that are in need.”

The Mayor said any unused funds after the first round of applications could potentially be used to help businesses facing flow-on effects from the storm, but his first priority was residents.

“We want to look after those that are really, really struggling and that’s what the fund’s there for.”

DETAILS: Visit www.hauraki-dc.govt.nz for more information. Applications close February 27.